The Ron Says!

The Ron Says!
Doing what I do best...talk!

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pediatricians say schools should start later

  I'm baaaaack, this is my first blog in over 3 years and what could possibly motivate me to write a blog? How about this study I read the other day that stated in essence that schools start too early! The study states "Delaying the start of the school day until at least 8:30 a.m. would help curb their lack of sleep, which has been linked with poor health, bad grades, car crashes and other problems, the American Academy of Pediatrics says in a new policy".  So Pediatricians blame schools for a student's lack of sleep? Wow, really? When I was a kid my parents had what we called back then a BEDTIME, it was a set time at night that I had to be in bed. As I got older it would get later, but it was never past 10PM and it usually was about 8 hours of sleep.  Pediatricians should be blaming the lack of structure in a lot of homes for lack of sleep not an early school time.  By pushing the school time back kids get home later and have less time to do the homework that is given to them.  Hence they wind up going to bed later anyways.  Also eventually these kids will enter the workforce, what are they going to tell their jobs if the job wants them to start at 6AM? Oh I cant start that early, Im not awake until 8AM.  Schools prepare you for the future or so they use too.
  The fact that I was able to get myself up and out of bed every morning and to school on my own got me prepared for not only college but the working world. Today's kids rely too much on their parents doing everything for them, from waking them up to getting their breakfast ready etc. That's great in your early ages, but once you get to junior high and above it's time to teach some responsibility. By age 9 I got myself out of bed, poured my own cereal, had time to watch a program before school and walked myself to school and I was always on time and usually early.  That translates to now, because Im never late for anything and I always get enough sleep. My structure in my childhood got me ready for this.  Wake up Pediatricians and start teaching our kids responsibility instead of enabling them to become this entitled generation they have become.

No comments: